Friday, September 3, 2010

"Why on earth do you go there?"

This question is posed to most people who want to come to Cambodia. It is actually more of an exclamation than a question. Karen Coates, the author of the book Cambodia Now, sums up the most accurate response: "Perhaps I go to Cambodia to challenge, awaken, expand the soul." I wish I had read this book before I left the US for I could have more powerfully answered my family, my friends and others who all bombarded me with this same question.





Nellie (another Leadership Resident) and myself
outside of the Royal Palace with a few of our girls.
I arrived in Phnom Penh, Cambodia this past Monday, 30 August 2010 and will remain here until 22 December 2010. It is my first time living abroad. A mix of emotions swirled inside me before I left the States, but deep down I knew this would be an experience that would enlighten me to issues I have only read about in books and ultimately allow me to grow as a person.

I will be volunteering as a leadership resident for the Harpswell Foundation (www.harpswellfoundation.org). While I was searching for a coop opportunity this past Spring I was on a mission to find an organization that would provide me with a fulfilling experience in my field of International Affairs.  Established by a man named Alan Lightman in 2006, this remarkable non-profit organization aims to provide housing and education to children and young women. In short, I am living in a dormitory for college-aged Cambodian women. I will serve as a role model, English language teacher and friend for these amazing girls with the goal of empowering a new generation of female leaders for the country.

My bedroom at the dormitory. I have the
bottom bunk of the bed against the far wall.
I was immediately excited when I saw the dormitory and introduced myself to the girls; I knew that Cambodia was in fact the right place for me to do my second coop. They are all genuinely eager to learn about me and where I come from. (It should also be noted that these girls are incredibly diligent about their studies!) They have a work ethic that greatly surpasses mine, and as cliche as it is, I know I will be learning more from these girls than they will from me. This is what happens when you intend on giving yourself to others. You end up getting so much more in return; more than you could have ever expected.

Two of the Harpswell girls
with me in a tuk tuk, which is a primary form of transport
for people in Phnom Penh
.

I am now passionate (which is a phrase I don't say too often) about immersing myself in the Khmer culture. Over the course of the next few months I will undoubtedly learn a lot about this city and the history of the country. Next week I will begin to take language classes so that I can better communicate with the girls, my amiable neighbors who smile constantly, and of course to help improve my odds at bargaining for lower prices wherever I go! I am confident that this will be a very rewarding experience for me. Karen Coates has nailed it: Living and volunteering in cambodia will most certainly challenge, awaken and expand my soul.

1 comment:

  1. Everything that awakens the soul is enlightenment!

    Roo Roo

    ReplyDelete